Thursday, July 21, 2011

Camp

I was a difficult kid growing up. I got sick a lot (still do), couldn't sleep away from home (almost over it), lazy (still am) and absolutely hated camp. I started thinking about how dumb camp is, recently, while walking through Central Park to go see Horrible Bosses. (side note: I think it's the funniest movie of the summer so far. Squeaks out Bridemaids by a hair. Also, whats the deal with the whole dentist jokes in movies recently? I mean, I totally agree they aren't real doctors (wink wink Steve), but after Hangover any dentist joke is lame.) So while I was crossing the park I literally saw three groups of same colored t-shirt kids holding hands and a few stressed out adults supervising them. However much these camp counselors make, it's definitely not enough. These kids were running around the park in 100 plus degree heat kicking soccer balls and throwing baseballs. Awful.

Brings me back to my childhood days. I remember my parents pleading with me to go to sleep away camp.  Why the hell would I want to stay in bunk beds and wake up early to go on hikes, I would tell Sue. After a while she would give up and we made a compromise that I would just go to day camp. I soon realized that day camp was even worse! Have you been to DC in the summer time? It makes New York feel like Alaska. I would pray it would rain so we would stay inside and watch movies. My ideal summer vacation was to relax INSIDE after a stressful year of elementary school with the AC blasting and the soaps on the tube. Come to think of it, some things haven't changed at all. "Hey, I'm Retired at 28!

3 comments:

  1. I hated summer camp too...2 weeks in upstate NY...while beautiful...was way too much and I was jealous of the day campers. I did not enjoy the food (oatmeal was gross back then) and 2-minute showers to conserve water (no thanks).

    PS: this blog is great!
    PPS: I'm one of your sister's friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome!

    also camp is expensive. why would you spend thousands of dollars to sleep in tents? for that money you might as well be holed up in the Four Seasons!

    ReplyDelete