Monday, August 15, 2011

Chillin' on Session and Hudson

With my newfound time in retirement, I've been wandering around the city more and more. And I've been realizing I end up wandering into liquor stores more and more. Not that I'm an alcoholic by any means, but I'm always curious what kind of degenerates I'll find on a random Tuesday at 2pm. I usually just go in and bullshit with the workers. One guy I met drinks constantly on the job. Wow. I wonder how he'll be feeling by closing time? I never buy anything, just look and sample. What? Don't judge me!!

If I buy anything I go down to Astor Place Wine and Liquors, located, yup you guessed it, at Astor Place. They are more of a wholesale warehouse with prices to match that. My favorite new drink is Hudson Whiskey. It's on the pricey side, as they market as the first whiskey made in the state of New York and each bottle is hand marked with it's barrel and batch number to make it seem more inidivdualized. Beside the fancy marketing tools, it goes down real nice. Very smooth with a hint of smokey flavor. Not sure if that's a good thing or not because before I knew it half the bottle was gone. In my defense it was a very small bottle....

Outside of whiskey I'm still a beer drinker through and through. Recently I've been obsessed with this light lager called Session. I first tried it at Tenpenny and then again at Fat Radish and just the other week at Veritas. It seems like it is popping up everywhere. At a reasonable 5 bucks a bottle at Tenpenny I've been frequenting the bar there a lot. But even at 5 bucks it can add up so I went online to see where I could get a case of Session. A few warehouses in Brooklyn sold them....no thanks. One place in Hoboken....I dont like the beer that much! I called Whole Foods and they were fresh out in Union Sauare and Columbus Circle. I guess you do learn something new everyday because the lady on the phone at the Union Square location told me to try to the Whole Foods down on Houston Street. Bingo! I knew this location existed but didn't know the mass quantity of beer they had. Not only did they have an abundant supply of Session, but this particular location had it's own beer department! Side note: you can also check out there, so no more waiting in line for me. Time is very important to me. I need to cheek out more liquor stores. "Hey, I'm Retired at 28!"

No comments:

Post a Comment