Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fashion Week

Wikipedia definition of Fashion Week: A fashion week is a fashion industry event, lasting approximately one week, which allows fashion designers, brands or "houses" to display their latest collections in runway shows and buyers to take a look at the latest trends.
Retirement at 28 definition of Fashion Week: Models, parties, famous people, and free booze.

Thursday the 8th of September officially kicked off fashion week with "Fashion Night Out". This means stores stay open late and typically have DJs and models greeting shoppers at the door. They also usually have a bar set up in the store to celebrate the beginning of the party week. (It's actually a great idea to serve booze at stores. People will get drunk and buy expensive dumb shit they don't need. I was with Eric once and tried on a bark sports coat. Yes, you read it correctly, bark, like in tree bark. Eric tried on a jacket made of cork. Too bad I didn't have 3 grand to blow.)

This is the second year the shows have been at Lincoln Center. Before they were located at Bryant Park which was just becoming too small a venue for the event. I've been contemplating going over to check it out and not really sure why I haven't. Clearly I'm handsome enough! If there is any indication that I can't sweet talk my way into a show, tonight was a perfect ego boost I needed. Let me explain.

I was meeting Josh for drinks at Riverpark. Very cool restaurant with an outside terrace over looking the East River. Actually went there earlier this week for beers and apps and decided to take advantage of the nice outside drinking weather before it gets cold. We get there and its "closed" for a private party. Literally everyone was in a suit. Josh and I were definitely going to stand out if we decided to sneak in. And yes, we snuck in. Walked right past the receptionist and made a beeline for the free beers. It was only a matter of time until someone questioned us. In a sea full of suits, I'm wearing a bright yellow polo and flip flops and Josh looks like a scared little child. Of course eventually we got questioned and made up some BS excuse about how my dad worked at the law firm who was hosting the event. The guy actually believed us but now we felt a little awkward. After another beer and a few passed apps we headed out. But the moral of the story is, "act as if" and you can really enjoy yourself in this town. I think I would enjoy New York even more if I could get into those fashion tents. "Hey, I'm Retired at 29!"

No comments:

Post a Comment