Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Parents are Cool

Labor Day weekend I always stay in town. Too much of a hassle getting out of the city (re: I didn't get invited anywhere) plus I like going to the US Open (re: see previous blog). Anyway, this weekend my parents decided to come up for some tennis which was perfect timing since my apartment also needed cleaning. It ended up being a great weekend and it didn't hurt that I spent nothing. I even forgot to bring my wallet out a few times.

So Friday night we hopped on the subway and off to Flushing. It was a perfect night and we saw some great young American tennis. The US Open is a very social (re: drinking) event and sometimes the crowds can get a little wild. Sue still doesn't understand why people need to drink more than one beer at a sporting event. After my second beer she asked if I was okay to navigate them back to my apartment (yes, they stay with me) from Queens. 

Saturday I woke up early (re: 11am) and we decided the three of us would go for a bike ride. They rented bikes and we were off. I thought maybe just a nice little ride around the Central Park loop but they were adamant we bike whatever route I typically bike. So we ended up by the GW Bridge via the streets of Harlem and Broadway and back down the West Side Highway path and across 59th street. Lets just say I was very impressed. 

When parents come up people automatically think of fancy dinners you wouldn't splurge on by yourself but I'm kind of past that phase. I like trying new obscure places with them. I'll save the fancy dinners for Phil. We ended up taking the ferry over to Williamsburg in Brooklyn and to this new restaurant called St. Anselm. Very cool place where their motto is to try to grill everything. Grilled avocado with shrimp to start along side grilled whole sardines. The tea braised chicken comes with head and feet attached. Didn't have the guts to try the chicken but the steak and creamed spinach was excellent. For dessert I saw roasted strawberries with homemade marshmallows. I'll order that next time. 

Sunday night we went to Patsy's. Not the generic Patsy's you see all over the city but the original one in East Harlem. Hidden gem. We were literally all over New York; Queens for tennis, Harlem for pizza and biking, Brooklyn for dinner. I guess next time my parents come up I'll have to find something in the Bronx (maybe a Yankee game?) and Staten Island. Umm, maybe not Staten Island but they do have a free ferry! "Hey, I'm Retired at 29!"

No comments:

Post a Comment