Monday, August 29, 2011

U.S. Open

The end of summer is sad for the majority of people. It means going back to school for students (suckers), no more summer work hours for employees (what's work?), and cold weather (skiing!). Clearly I'm not in the majority. The one thing I love about the end of summer is the U.S. Open in New York. There is something about watching tennis live that is very relaxing and soothing. Maybe it's the fact that when I was young my neighbors and I would sneak into the Legg Mason Tennis Classic on those hot and humid DC summers. Or the fact that I love playing tennis but nearly impossible to play in the city (past blog post). For whatever reason, I always get tickets for at least one session plus the day session on Labor Day Monday. This year I'm treating (re: I will half heartingly offer to pay) my lovely parents to the first Friday night session.

For someone who hasn't gone before, I will explain the scene at the U.S. Open. It's different from any other  sporting event watched live. Think of the complete opposite of a N.H.L playoff game. The intensity is just as high but the atmosphere is completely different. You have to be quiet during points, clap after every point (even if it's not the player you're rooting for) and you can only get to and from your seat during change overs. It's different which makes it fun. But the best part is the booze at the Open. Of course you can get your standard beer but it is completely appropriate and actually normal to get martinis. At a Ranger's game, they promote, let's say, Bud Light, at the Open, Grey Goose!! I think that pretty much sums up the Open. So look for me Friday night or Monday day, I'll be the Nadal look-a-like with vodka in hand. "Hey, I'm Retired at 29!"

No comments:

Post a Comment