Monday, October 17, 2011

Pulque and Cactus Tacos

So this past Thursday night I ventured to Chinatown to check out this new Mexican spot. China, Mexico...it's all jumbled in this city. Not trying to toot my own horn but I know the map of Manhattan like the back of my hand. West Village; no problem; Financial District; easy. But I will say the deep bowls of Chinatown confuse the hell outta me. The mishmash area between Chinatown and City Hall is no mans land for me. You try to find Doyers Street! Yeah, I didn't think so....

So after turning off Mott Street and thru Pell Street you come across Doyers Street. I wouldn't go as far to say it's a "street", it's more like an alley way. I eventually find the place behind a closed down Vietnamese grocery store. The restaurant is called Pulqueria which derives its name from the popular Mexican drink, pulque. Pulque is made from the fermented sap of the maguey (agave) plant. Kind of looks like coconut water. In contrast, mezcal is made from cooked hearts of certain agave plants as tequila is made mostly from blue agave. Its alcohol content is between beer and tequila but it tastes a lot better than both. Needless to say this restaurant is the only place in the US which currently serves this alcohol.

Well I guess I'm not as cool as I thought because the place was packed. I'm surprised they even serve food because literally everyone in the place was skinny....like model skinny. Yes, please! I got a spot at the bar and ordered a pulque with chili spice and watermelon. At this point I didn't know the alcohol content so I thought ordering some tacos wouldn't hurt. One tilapia with garlic salsa and one cactus with green peppers. I guess the booze was kicking in with that cactus order.  I then got a tap on the shoulder and prayed it was a model but ended up being this photographer from The Wall Street Journal. They were reviewing pulque booze and its growing popularity in the US. (I had no idea WSJ was so hip.) He asked me if I could move over so he could take pictures of the drinks. He literally ordered one of everything to try to get the best pictures possible. Must be nice WSJ!!! For my inconvenience next drink was on WSJ tab he told me. Ok, I can handle that. I ordered the corn and pineapple variation with corn husk garnish. Very interesting combination and it worked perfect with the subtle flavors of the corn and the sweet tartness of the pineapple. And to be honest, drinking out of a glass with corn husks is pretty freaking cool. Now here's the kicker.....trying to get home!!! The upper east side never looked so far... "Hey, I'm Retired at 29"!

No comments:

Post a Comment