Thursday, February 9, 2012

Everything Is Better Fried!

Years ago, when going out to dinner with my friend Mike, our conversations about food would always end with discussing what types of food would be bad fried. These deep conversations started one evening while dining at R.U.B (Righteous Urban Barbecue) in Chelsea and we debated about ordering the deep fried Oreos for dessert. (Side Note - R.U.B. was one of the original BBQ joints in the city before the BBQ craze really started to hit the city. Its pretty damn good, not the best, but this place definitely gets props for starting the trend in the city.) Anyway, I'm not a huge dessert guy but we had to try 'em out. Woozers! Just proves our point that everything is great fried...

Fast forward five years, and I'm dining with my folks at Forcella on the Bowery. Brooklyn has made Forcella famous for deep frying their pizza and recently opened an outpost in the city. I was so intrigued by this idea, I bombarded the waiter with questions which he gladly answered. He explained that just the dough is flash fried with oil olive and finished off in the oven. Just hearing the words "flash fried" made me giddy, and I immediately ordered the Montanara, which is just the Margherita fried. This might be the best invention ever. Screw doctors, chefs are changing the world!

The pizza was not greasy at all and the dough tasted like a very mild funnel cake (obviously without the sugar). It almost looked like a blown up calzone but definitely not as doughy. I honestly didn't know what to expect, just like the fried Oreo, but I was not disappointed in the least. Just solidifies that everything is great fried! Mike and I did come up with one food that we thought would be bad fried. Any takers???

No comments:

Post a Comment