Wednesday, March 28, 2012

In DC, Apparently Women Rule

Since my little hiatus from New York, I've tried really hard to have an open mind and positive attitude towards Ugly Hollywood aka DC. And for people who know me, being positive and open minded are extremely hard things for me to do. I'm giving DC the benefit of doubt on a lot of things I would normally bitch about, but as it is my hometown, I let a lot of things fly. I think ladies and gentleman, the buck stops here! Let me explain.

I decide to go out to a neighborhood bar to grab some food and beers tonight to watch the Capitals hockey game. It is a huge game, almost equivalent to a playoff game. Walking from my house I was looking forward to a nice night chatting with the locals and bonding over some hockey. I get to the bar (no name needed) and post up and order a beer.

It was a few minutes before the puck drops and I get settled into reading the menu and scoping out the scene. The bar has two TVs and both were on commercials. I just assumed they were on the hockey channel. After a few minutes I look up and notice both TVs were on Women's NCAA tournament.

Obviously I just thought the TVs were on ESPN from earlier in the day and they just hadn't flipped over to the Caps game. I give the bartender a few minutes to figure this out but no one is changing the channel. This can't be right. I get the bartender's attention and ask to change the channel to the Caps game. No biggie, right? Yeah, I was wrong. She said people requested to keep ESPN on to watch the tournament. I laugh, thinking she's messing with me. There was no laugh back. Is this for real? Then I look around the bar and people are actually watching the game! Normal business-like men watching this awful basketball game.

This would NEVER happen in NY or Philly. (You know I'm upset when I give props to Philly.) I pay for my one lousy beer and leave. I think I actually cried a little on my depressing walk home...

1 comment: