Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Industry Night

Just to solidify my notion that New Yorkers go out on real weekday nights, real as in Monday night, not just this Thursday crap everyone did in college, I introduce you to Industry Night. As some restaurant and clubs are closed on Monday, it becomes a big night out in the restaurant scene. Some restaurants have specials to promote going out on Mondays; and I think I just might have hit the jackpot.
Osteria Morini opened a few years ago in the old Falls space (I could devote a whole blog to the Falls, but I'll save that for another day), which brings old rustic Italian cooking to Soho. The big name behind this restaurant is the big guy, Chef Michael White. Big and burly, he hails from the Midwest, and has become an iconic name in the New York Italian dining scene. He is most famous for opening Marea on Central Park South, serving seafood and even richer pastas.
A few months ago, Morini started their own version of Industry Night which includes all pastas for ten bucks after 9pm on Mondays. Yes, please! Josh and I went last Monday around 915pm and the place was packed. We got a table by 9:45pm and ordered 3 pastas to share and a few bottles of wine, but no need to dive into that topic. They aren't huge portions, but looks are deceiving, they are extremely rich with either, butter, cream, prosciutto, truffle oil, or a combo of all four. The pastas were cooked perfectly and we literally licked our plates clean. Around 10:15pm, Chef White came through the front door with a roar from the packed dining room. I'm always hesitant of "celebrities" chefs as I think they stretch their name and brand too thin, but I was wrong with Chef White. He literally went to each table and greeted each customer. I remember shaking his hand and saying something dumb about my blog which he probably forgot in 1.01 seconds. Whatevs.
Is anyone free next Monday night? Its the new Saturday...

No comments:

Post a Comment